(sent by email 05.02.19)
Here are a few news items to move us into May.
- Lost and found is stretched out again, and will be until tomorrow, then it will be donated. Please remind your child to reclaim cold weather wear (hoodies, etc).
- Bike rodeo – This is run by the Comox Valley Cycle Coalition and the come to us every three years. This year they are working with gr 4 & 5 students. Students are asked to bring bikes in good working order, helmets and teachers have a schedule. This year we are working with div 8, 9, 10 & 11. Parents are welcome to participate with us. FYI – front parking lot will be consumed with bike rodeo stations during both days and will not be available as a parking lot.
- High School transition for grade 7’s – All Brooklyn gr 7’s transition to Highland. They had their first visit today from the counsellor and vice principal to talk about what to expect next year. Gr 7’s should have brought home course planning for next year (only choice is band or no-band; they will receive an assortment of exploratories and do not get to choose electives until grade 9) Highland Open House for incoming grade 8s will be on Monday, June 17 @ 6:30pm. Mark your calendar.
- Hot lunch – lots of field trips on the Pita Pit day (May 9). Please back a bagged lunch for this day if you are on a field trip. Your pita pit lunch will be delivered to your class at the end of the day for an afternoon snack
- Plastic Bag Grab – thank you for participating. We collected 2110 plastic bags that will be spared from the landfill. WE learned a lot about refusing and rethinking single use plastics over our earth month.
- Thank you PAC for purchasing a small collection of metal cutlery for students to borrow & return for lunch if forgotten, and even for hot lunch items that previously would offer plastic cutlery.
- track & field forms (Gr 4 – 7 Jamboree) are due back to teachers asap. We need to assess if any teachers need to stay behind if there are too many students saying no to track.
- Gr 4 Big House experience at the K’omox First Nation Big House has been cancelled this year due to a scheduling conflict. Next year’s grad 5’s and 4’s will enjoy the experience next year so no one misses out.
- Mother’s Day Sale is Friday, May 10. All students will have the opportunity to purchase a gift from the repurposed treasures for under $5. Parents will start sorting and counting items for the Mother’s Day Sale this coming week. If you have items you have been meaning to bring in please bring in ASAP and place in PAC box in front foyer. Tissue paper, wrapping paper and gift bags are needed as well. Thanks for providing this great opportunity for kids to pick out something special for Mother’s day, and supporting our Grade 7’s at the same time!
- PAC also is preparing for the annual fun fair. There is a box in the main foyer for some gently used stuffies. Thank you!
- May 6 -Moccasin trek cultural group – PowWow dance 9am
- May 7 -Speak Out (self harm prevention presentation) – gr 5-7 10:30 in gym
- May 8 – Science World Visits – free presentation – k – gr 3 9:15 assembly, gr 4-7 10:30 assembly
- May 10 – Mothers’ Day sale in MPR – hosted by gr 7’s, supported by PAC
- May 20 – Victoria Day Holiday (no classes)
- May 27 – 31 “Go By Bike Challenge” – join the many who already ride to / from school each day. We will host wacky wheelie fun in the front parking lot all week at recess and lunchtime.
- May 27 – sharing Assembly
Or follow: About Brooklyn / PAC /
Keep in touch with your teacher as we near the end of the year. A lot can change as we near the summer holiday so when in doubt, call.
have a great May!