(sent by email 09.05.18)
Welcome back! Thank you for supporting us with our big risk at a different school start this year. Feedback has been very positive and your children came back with big smiles and tons of great summer stories. Thank you :)
A couple of news items to start off our new year together:
- Planners have been distributed to students in divisions 4-15 and will cost $6 each (school is offsetting 10%) Funds can be sent to the classroom teacher.
- We welcome 49 new students to Brooklyn this year, and 30 new kindergarten students = 79 NEW. Welcome!! Current enrollment is 359 (27 higher than last year, one new division)
- Visit our classes / staff tab on our school web page for staff information. We welcome new teachers Ms. Kathryn (Katie) Ney, Mr. Toby Beck, Mr. Daniel Ackerman, librarian Ms. Tonya Lowe, vice principal Ms. Lucinda Wolters, learning support Mrs. Michelle Marcuzzi, EA's Ms. Iris Wallin, Mrs. Evelyn Bally and indigenous support worker (ISW) Ms. Cheryl Graham.
- We invite you to share a photo of your children from the summer holiday – one only, digital, emailed to Vice Principal firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the day on Sunday. Photos will be woven into a slide show at our welcome back assembly on Tuesday, September 11.
- Forms will come home late this week or early next to be completed and returned as soon as possible so we can update our office records
- All new students will receive a copy of the Best Routes Map to help plan travel to/from school (walking, biking, scootering … active travel.
- Reminder to parents to be safe in our parking lot: slow speeds, parking in parking slots only (not on Guthrie, not on yellow lines) and to please avoid use of the staff parking lot for pick up and drop off since it is a tight lot where too many dings happen.
- Welcome back stations. Students have been learning safe pedestrian / bike riding behaviours along with fair play in soccer, 4-square, tetherball and environmental kindness with Snip and Drip. Ask your child about what safe habits a pedestrian must use when crossing the road.
Upcoming special days:
- Welcome back assembly Tues., Sept 11 at 1pm
- Rotary Readers visit each class for story telling Thurs., Sept 13 at 12:30pm
- Dot Day Tues., Sept 18 (wear dots :))
- Meet the teacher morning Tues., Sept 18 from 8:15 – 9:00 am – coffee will be available
- Terry Fox Run at school Wed., Sept 19. Please send a toonie for Terry.
- Gymnastics Equipment arrives Sept 24 for 3 weeks
- Cultural presentation Green Thumb Theatre "What If" Mon., Sept 24 9am
- Beach Day at Air Force Beach Wed., Sept 26 – travel by buses, forms home soon.
- Orange Shirt Day (residential school survivors) Thurs., Sept 27 – wear orange
- Curriculum Implementation Day – no classes for students Fri., Sept 28.
Keep in touch with your teachers if you have any questions about your child. Have a great week!