Dear Courtenay Elementary Families,
As you know things are changing again in British Columbia schools. You have chosen to have your child (children) in school 2 full days a week. As of June 1st, our school day will be extended to regular school hours, 8:40am-2:30pm. Students will be with their regular class teacher learning in their own classrooms. They will be having their regular breaks for recess and recess lunch.
Students in grades K-5 who have notified the school that they are returning for face to face instruction will be divided into two groups: group A and group B (group A will attend on Mondays and Tuesdays, Group B will attend on Thursdays and Fridays). Home support/connection will take place on Wednesdays. We will be contacting you soon to let you know which group your student is in.
All essential workers and vulnerable students are entitled to 5 days a week of instruction.
Teachers will continue to support their home learners as they have been doing. However, it will not be as rigorous as it has been given the addition of face to face instruction.
There are some protocols we need to have in place:
- Parents need to do a quick health check on their children before they come to school. Please call us if your child is showing any signs of illness and keep them home for the day.
- Parents will drop their children off outside where students will meet their teacher on the field. Until further notice, we will not be inviting adults into the building without prior consultation.
- All students need to bring a backpack with a water bottle and food for the day. At this point we can not be supplying breakfast, lunch, or snacks.
- All students will enter the building with their class and wash their hands. They will wash hands regularly and after entering the building at any time during the day.
- Students will eat snacks and lunch at their own desk and will not share food. Desks will be washed after eating.
- Students will be reminded to keep a distance between themselves and peers as best as they can. Hands on behavior will not be tolerated.
- Students will be dismissed outside, from their class groups.
Thank you for your support and understanding. We look forward to having our students back in our school for face to face instruction.
Catherine Manson, Principal Courtenay Elementary