Due to our end of year show case set up/take down/ and cleaning schedule all gymnasium evening programs will be cancelled beginning Monday, June 26
The Summer use of school will begin after June 29th. Calendar and information will be sent out to all school facility users via email once the process has been completed and applications approved.
The use of school bookings for Fall 2017 will begin around mid-September and will start up around the beginning of October.
Thank you for using our school facilities.
May 18, 2017
School Closure Notice:
Hornby Island Community School will be closed Monday, May 22nd due to STAT holiday.
As a reminder school closures due to holidays, power outages, poor weather conditions, etc. all use of school groups, meetings and programs will be cancelled. It is the group leader's responsibility to contact the program(s) they are in charge of to inform them of any closures.
May 9, 2017
Use of School Facilities – Summer 2017
Summer School Facilites Use Notice_Application Deadline.pdf
Application Deadline Monday, May 31, 2017
The application process for school facility use now begins for summer 2017. If you are planning on using the school for activities (inside and/or outside school grounds) over the summer, please come by the school to complete the use of school application.
Use of school forms can be accessed to the left of the gym door or on our school website at: http://www.sd71.bc.ca/School/hornbyisland/schoolinfo/facilities/Pages/default.aspx. Either email firstname.lastname@example.org or put the completed/signed application(s) in the Admin Assistant's (Andrea) school mailbox located below the office window. Please submit your application(s) no later than Wednesday, May 31st.
Please note: once we have the School District summer schedule/dates we will process all applications and let you know via email if the dates/space you have requested are available/approved or not. Please be sure to include an email in your application that you access daily.
After the above process has been completed the summer calendar will be posted on the Gym door, HICS website, and emailed to all school facility users.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding above, please contact the school office at 250-335-2125 or email email@example.com
Hornby Island Community School and HIES/Community Programs
HICS: Vice Principal: Alissa Pratt
HIES and Community Programs: Charmaine Logan
Notice: May 9, 2017 BC Elections
Elelctions will take place in the school gym. Therefore, all use of school programs, groups, etc. booked in the school Gymnasium are cancelled on this day (see notice below).
During school closures due to holidays, power outages, poor weather conditions, etc. all use of school groups, meetings and programs will be cancelled. It is the group leader's responsibility to contact the program(s) they are in charge of to inform them of any closures. Thank you. Hornby Island Community School Administration.
September 26, 2016
Welcome! We are excited to start up the new school year with opening the doors once
again for community use. The 2016-17 Calendar is posted below:
Outlined below are some important reminders while using the school facilities:
Please remember that this facility is our children's learning and play space and respect the following guideline
Due to allergies, the building is PEANUT AND SCENT FREE and likewise, we ask that you do not bring pets to the school or to the school playground.
- Smoking, spitting and the use of drugs or alcohol are NOT allowed in the building or on the school grounds. Failure to respect this requirement may result in your group being refused permission to use the school facilities.
- Please remember to clean your shoes or remove them at the front entrance
- The storage room is left tidy with gym balls stored in proper bins
- Equipment that is moved is put back where it was
- Smoking is done OFF the school grounds
- No spitting on gym floor, in the front entrance or in the water fountain
- If you cancel one or all future uses of the gym contact the school and leave a message either with the school admin assistant or leave a message on the voicemail which will be checked by the school custodian. Please try your best to contact the school at least one business day prior to your event being cancelled.
- If a space is cancelled no other group can use the space without going through the application process
- All rooms/space in school MUST be booked through the school office by completing an application form (hung on the corkboard beside the gym door). You can also find the application and all relevant documents and guidelines on the Hornby Island Community School website: http://www.sd71.bc.ca/School/hornbyisland/schoolinfo/facilities/Pages/default.aspx. Please email this form to firstname.lastname@example.org or leave this form in the admin assistants school box (labeled Andrea Patterson).
Gym Use: The fee is $2 per person per use. The person who has booked the gym is responsible for collecting the fees from each participant and issuing a cheque for the total amount collected at the end of each session. The cheque can be made out to: Hornby Island Community Programs and handed into Charmaine Logan (office located at Room to Grow) or left in the School lobby drawer marked 'Charmaine Logan, Community Programs'.
- There is no charge if a classroom is being used for instruction for children and/or adults.
- There is no charge if a Hornby Island non-profit is using the classroom for a group or public meeting.
- If an off island organization is using the building for a public meeting, the fee is $10 per hour and the cheque is made payable to: Hornby Island Community School. It can be given to the School Administrative Assistant or left in the school lobby drawer marked 'Andrea Patterson, Sr. Admin Assistant'.
As a reminder any outstanding payments need to be made before a group can start. All payments are submitted to the Community Program Coordinator, Charmaine Logan. Please contact Charmaine by email or phone: email@example.com or 250-335-1085 for further details on payment cost and procedures.
The following is found in the Hornby Island Community School Use of School Facilities Guidelines (please review): http://www.sd71.bc.ca/School/hornbyisland/schoolinfo/facilities/Pages/default.aspx
School Timelines/Bookings: All use of school application forms should be submitted 2 weeks prior to the date of use. Applications submitted less than 3 days prior may not be processed.
What needs to be booked using the use of school application form?
- Anything on school grounds (i.e. classrooms, gymnasium, parking lot, school fields, etc. (indoor or outdoor)
Purposes behind booking indoor and outdoor use is:
- Signing and reviewing School District Policies and Protocols re: bi-laws and regulations, damage, liability insurance, fees, etc.
- School District schedule for ongoing maintenance throughout the year which includes indoor and outdoor maintenance (i.e. painting lines in gym, carpet cleaning, mowing, repairs, etc.). As various groups use the school facilities we need to keep the schedule in order and make sure there are no overlaps or conflicts with group use or school district maintenance.
If you would like information on how to book our facilities please contact Andrea Patterson at firstname.lastname@example.org.